i3 configs often include bindings to launch applications. For example, to run Konsole terminal when Super+Enter is pressed, one would add this line to their config: bindsym --release Mod4+Return exec "konsole" The standard approach to make windows flaot is to find out the window's class and
There are many different to handle inter-process communication in Electron. I'll take about a clean, promise-based IPC approached that worked super well for me.
Almost a year has passed since I joined SRV for a two month internship. I've since forgotten some minor things, but there are important lessons I have learned that are still with me now.
If you use ROS move_base navigation stack with a depth point cloud (to reveal obstacles), you might run into the issue of the local costmap not getting cleared, resulting in lingering "fake" obstacles. This article talks about several possible solutions.
I've made a lot of quality-of-life adjustments to my Vim config, including colour scheme tweaks. One of such tweaks is changing the style of the active pane to make it more obvious - which is also the focus of this article.
While looking through my old coding projects, I found a couple of nice images and blog posts I wrote. This sparked some memories of how I first got into coding, so here's a short article about it.
I was adding bits and pieces to a small project of mine when I came across an interesting problem. I had a bunch of images that were aligned in one row and resized using `display: flex;`, so that all of them would have the same height.
I often have to read through piles of logs for different programs. Levels of sophistication and approaches to logging differ from program to program, but I think everyone would agree that there is a certain bare minimum of data your logs should contain to be useful.
Now that I'm enjoying my time as an exchange student at Caltech, I decided to look back at some of the great things that happened to me in UCL. This particular time I'll tell you about an effective way to shield your website from various exploits: by introducing more vulnerabilities.
If you've ever visited this website before October 2017, you might've seen some cool animations and a dynamic grid. It looked nice and was certainly fun to implement, but god was it not readable at all. I decided to fix that.
As you might've found out from a previous post of mine, in Summer of 2016 I spent a couple of weeks travelling around Japan. The previous post focused on the pictures I've taken with my camera, while this one has a bunch of panoramas I've taken during the trip using my phone.
In this article I'll be talking about how I tackled PostgreSQL migrations and database schema, pointing out useful tools and techniques. This is less of a tutorial and more of a description of one possible approach.
For my internship with Microsoft and UCL Institute of Child Health I had to work with PostgreSQL. My back-end was running on Node.js, so naturally I was interested in getting JSON formatted data out of Postgres whenever possible.
If you've ever had the pleasure of implementing a TCP client that would work in both the Unity editor (for development/debugging) and UWP on HoloLens (for production) you will know how painful the whole process is. Below you can find some info on how I tackled this problem.
In Summer 2017 I was working on an internship with Microsoft and UCL. I was put in charge of designing and developing the backend architecture for a reasonably big system. Continuous integration (CI) and deployment (CD) were a must, so I tried to automate as many things as possible.
Today was truly an amazing day. A video about the project I worked on, PEACH Reality, was featured on the official homepage of Microsoft HoloLens. It was a very interesting journey and I'm very thankful to Microsoft for helping us out and shooting this video about the project.
I've spent quite a lot of time developing a Microsoft HoloLens application during my 2nd year in UCL. In this post I'd like to outline several things that beginner HoloLens developers might find useful.
I spent 2 weeks travelling around Japan with a bunch of friends. It was an amazing experience and since I'm no wordsmith but I still wanted to document my trip, I ended up taking around a thousand and a half pictures of various places and events in Japan.
In this article I'll be expressing some thoughts and suggestions about the second COMP207P coursework, the one concerned with altering Java bytecode to implement things like constant folding and constant propagation.
This post is a short overview of my Linux dotfiles. It is somewhat outdated (as of May 2018).
I've been playing around with my new Ubuntu setup and I needed to get my keyboard playback and volume controls working to use Spotify efficiently. While this topic has been covered extensively on the web, the knowledge is currently spread among multiple websites.
During my 2nd year as a computer scientist at UCL I got a chance to work on an amazing compilers coursework. It was a part of COMP207P Compilers module and together with 2 of my teammates I was faced with a challenge to develop the compiler front-end for a fictitious Z language.
On December 5th, 2016, I got a chance to present the PEACH Reality project I've been working on to Steve Guggenheimer, who is (at the time of writing) the Corporate Vice President & Chief Evangelist at Microsoft.
I feel like implementation of higher order functions in C deserves more exposure that it currently has and this article is my attempt to contribute to this cause.
After years of rewriting the source code of this blog from scratch, a handful of domain name changes and numerous attempts of implementing something that would even remotely resemble a decent content management system I've finally overcome my NIH syndrome and decided to stick with Ghost